Saturday, October 29, 2011

Gluten Free Corn Dog Recipe

1 pack uncured, nitrate-free 100% beef hot dogs
2 cups Pamela's Gluten Free Bread Mix (no yeast needed)
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tsp sea salt
2 eggs slightly beaten
2 cups warm water

Yield: 8 dogs

I had a lot of batter left over after using 8 whole hot dogs. I could have done a lot more mini corn dogs. I ended up keeping the left over batter and will most likely use tomorrow for lunch or dinner.
















In a 12 inch skillet heat approximately 2 inches of oil to 375 degrees

Slice hot dogs into quarters and set aside

Mix dry ingredients together

Lightly whisk eggs and water. Add wet ingredients to dry, whisking until smooth. Started to get a little messy!














Heavily coat sliced hot dogs in batter (this gets really really messy and why I don't have any pics of this, lol). Place in hot oil for about 4 mints until dark golden brown. Drain corn dogs on cooling rack and serve.















FYI's- I learned some hard lessons while making this. I will share so you guys won't do the same. Really use a 12 inch skillet for this or a deep pot with high sides. I thought I would cheat the system and use a sauce pan because these were mini hot dogs. I thought since they were so same I could save oil and use a sauce pan. Don't do that. Also don't feel the pan up really high. Don't turn the burner on high and forget that it's on high. I dropped my first corn dog in the pan and started an oil fire, burn myself and my boyfriend burnt himself too trying to help me tame the fire. Below is what that corn dog turned out like and caused the fire due to the oil being way too hot and exploded once it hit the bottom of the pan;















Needles to say you don't want to eat something that looks like this or have a fire in the kitchen. It took awhile to get the fire out and clean up all the oil that got everywhere. I will say after the burnt one the rest turned out amazing. My boyfriend was really impressed on the taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment